Target language : You win, Try again, numbers 10-15
Lesson length : 30 to 40 minutes
Class size : Small Group class
Preparation time : 15 to 30 minutes to prepare the “Kujibiki” game and flashcards
1. Begin class with one or two songs. Counting songs, such as “10 fat sausages” would work best.
2. Show the flashcards to the class and repeat the words together.
3. Play the “kujibiki” game : Each turn a student chooses a hole from the box and says the number it is labelled with. They then pull the slip from that hole and unravel it. If the slip has an O, the class says “You win!”. If the slip has an X, the class says “Try again.” (This game plays best if the teacher has remembered which holes contain winning slips and points the students toward those, while always pulling from losing holes themselves).
4. Play Hopscotch : Mark the floor with chalk, or use foam mats as hop scotch squares. Each turn a student throws the ball onto one of the squares and must
jump or hop to the square to retrieve the ball, saying the numbers as they go.
5. Sit down with the class and complete Appendix B : Worksheet. Students must colour the numbered spaces with the matching colour (Teachers may wish to
review colours before beginning).
PERMISSION IS GIVEN TO FREELY EDIT AND PRINT THE APPENDICES FOR USE IN THE CLASSROOM.