Lesson length : 50 minutes.
Class size : Small Group class.
Preparation time : 15 to 30 minutes to prepare the games and flashcards.
1. Have the class form a circle, and pass a ball between the students asking simple questions, such as “What’s your name?”, and reviewing a couple of questions of previous lessons.
2. Play a warm up game to practice of last week’s class, or to practice phonics. Usually strategic games, like “Tapatan” are more fun this age group. Instructions can be accessed by left clicking the button below.
3. Introduce the target language and vocabulary using the flashcards. Draw a map on the board, and have the students give directions to different places to check understanding.
4. To practice the language and refresh a little after some long sitting down,
teachers with little preparation time may like to try a game of “Proximity Marbles” : Instructions can be accessed by left clicking the button below. Teachers with more time could instead mark out roads on the classroom floor using masking tape, and place cards alphabet cards representing buildings along the roads, then have teams of students race one another to different locations of the floor map.
5. Use the worksheet of Appendix B to practice reading the language with the class.
6. Mark any homework, and play a simple game, such as the card game “UNO” to end the class.
PERMISSION IS GIVEN TO EDIT AND PRINT THE APPENDICES FOR USE IN THE CLASSROOM.